The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a solid rewards credit card that has been on the market for a while. Although the benefits are not quite as extensive as the Capital One Venture X Rewards Card, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is certainly nothing to sneeze at.
With this credit card, you can start to enjoy the benefits with a bang! You’ll earn a welcome bonus of 60,000 miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months.
After that, you’ll earn 2x miles for every dollar you spend. Plus, you can enjoy a $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck.
Personally, I use this card as my go-to for building travel rewards. And I have yet to be disappointed!
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: pros and cons
- 100,000 welcome bonus opportunity – You’ll earn one of the highest bonuses in the industry after spending $10,000 in first 6 months.
- 10,000 account anniversary bonus – You’ll earn a whopping 10,000 extra miles on your card anniversary (starting on your first anniversary).
- Up to $300 annual credit for Capital One Travel bookings – If you’re a frequent traveler (which you should be if you use this card), you’ll more than make up for the annual fee with benefits like this.
- Up to $100 statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® – Another prime travel perk that can help offset your annual fee.
- Freeze prices for 14 days in the Capital One Travel portal before booking – This will give you time to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
- At least 2x miles earned per dollar spent – The minimum you’ll earn is 2x mile, but you’ll find you can earn all the way up to 10x miles on certain purchases.
- The $395 annual fee – This fee puts this card out of reach for many first-time travel hackers.
- There’s a big spending requirement to score the welcome bonus – $10,000 is a lot to spend, but if you have a big purchase you were planning on making, you’ll be rewarded.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: pros and cons
- 60,000 welcome bonus opportunity – This card is perfect for those still looking to earn a hefty bonus.
- Reasonable spending requirement of $3,000 – You have to spend this amount in first three months to enjoy the welcome bonus, but this is more reasonable than the $10,000 spend requirement with the Venture X Rewards Card.
- Earn 2x miles for every dollar spent – If you’re looking for a straightforward travel rewards card, this is the perfect card.
- No foreign transaction fees – You can travel abroad without worrying about extra fees.
- $95 annual fee – If you’re anti-annual fee, you’ll want to find a different card.
- No introductory APRs – This is a straight-forward rewards card with no intro APRs to speak of.
Why choose Capital One Venture X Rewards Card
Outstanding welcome bonus
If you are able to spend $10,000 on purchases in six months, the welcome bonus offered by the Capital One Venture X Rewards Card is difficult to beat. Since each mile is worth a penny, the welcome bonus is worth $1,000 in travel rewards.
Perks make up for the annual fee
It is understandable to feel a bit of sticker shock when you see the $395 annual fee. But in reality, you can more than justify this relatively high annual fee if you are a frequent traveler.
Just two of the perks – the $100 credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry + the $300 annual credit for Capital One Travel bookings – adds up to $400. With that, you can essentially recoup the cost of your annual fee right there!
Read more: When Is An Annual Fee Credit Card Worth it?
Account anniversary bonus
Everyone loves to feel appreciated! The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card makes this a reality by giving you 10,000 bonus points each year. That’s worth $100 in travel. It is easy to see how choosing this credit card will allow the perks to add up quickly.
Ability to freeze a price before booking
It is no secret that prices for travel purchases like flights and hotels fluctuate dramatically. But even if you see a great price, you might not be quite ready to move on it.
In most cases, that failure to act quickly could cost you. But not when you are a Capital One Venture X Rewards cardholder. Instead, you can freeze the price when you see it and make a decision within the next 14 days.
Why choose Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Lower spending requirements
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card may not have all of the perks. But it is still an incredible card that comes with a more affordable annual fee and more manageable spending requirement.
At only $95 per year, you can enjoy the features of a premium travel rewards credit card. Plus, you will only need to spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months to enjoy a welcome bonus of 60,000 miles.
Beyond the travel benefits, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card comes with several perks. A few of my favorites include the auto rental collision damage waiver, travel accident insurance, and the ability to transfer miles.
I have found that using this card pays for itself. If you are a relatively frequent traveler, then you can likely find plenty of opportunities to use the perks that this card has to offer.
In the end, both of these credit cards have a lot to offer. But which one is right for you?
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is for you if…
…you want to tap into a truly premium travel rewards credit card and are willing to pay the price. The high annual fee may not be right for everyone, but frequent travelers will appreciate the numerous perks that can make the annual fee worth it.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card for you if…
…you know that you cannot spend $10,000 in six months. If the idea of chasing that large of a spending requirement is too much, that’s okay! You can still enjoy an incredible experience with this card. The reasonable costs and big rewards will give you a lot of bang for your buck.